Philippines stops Galaxy’s casino in Boracay

The casino that Galaxy Entertainment had planned for Boracay island has been shelved.

Philippines.- The Philippines shelved on Wednesday Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd’s plan to build a US$500 million integrated casino-resort on Boracay island. The operator had received a provisional licence from Pagcor late last month.

Presidential spokesman Harry Roque said during a news conference in Hong Kong that “there will be no new casino in Boracay.” Roque said that while Galaxy had obtained its provisional licence from the local gaming regulator, it will not be able to build the casino in Boracay. He added that President Rodrigo Duterte had not issued an order allowing a new casino on the island.

Pagcor said in a statement that the provisional licence is only the stepping stone of a long process that will allow Galaxy to start operations. Galaxy and Leisure and Resorts World Corp, its partner for the project, have yet to submit documentary requirements to be able to develop the project.

The paradise island is experiencing sewerage and environmental problems that forced the head of state to close the destination, potentially hurting the tourism industry.

In this article:
casinos galaxy entertainment Philippines