Ontario sees CA$1m handle in first week of single-event wagering

Single-event sports betting became legal in Canada on August 27.
Single-event sports betting became legal in Canada on August 27.

The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation has reported that 74 per cent of all wagers were single-event bets

Canada.- The Ontario Lottery and Gaming Corporation (OLGC) has reported a betting handle of more than CA$1m (US$800,000) for the first five days of newly legalised single-event wagering.

The provincial operator launched betting through the PROLINE+ platform on August 27, the day that single-event sports betting became legal in Canada. In the first five days of operation, 74 per cent of all wagers were single-event bets and 37 per cent of wagers were made in-play, the OLGC said.

Bets on baseball, football and soccer accounted for almost 82 per cent of all wagers.

OLG chief digital and strategy officer Dave Pridmore said: “Ontario bettors had been waiting for a best-in-class option to place bets and that’s exactly what OLG has delivered with Proline+.

“We’re experiencing excellent engagement with those who registered early, and we only expect to see the number of new users increase as word about Proline+ continues to spread, particularly as the American football season gets underway next week.”

The Senate passed bill C-218 in June, amending a line in the Canadian Criminal Code to allow single-event sports wagering in the country.

See also: British Columbia Lottery launches single-event sports betting

In this article:
Single-game sports sports betting