MGM Resorts has announced it will lay off most of its workforce in the entertainment and sports sectors due to the pandemic crisis.
US.- MGM Resorts International has announced it will lay off most of its workers in its entertainment and sports division from August 31.
The move has been confirmed by the company to the Las Vegas Review-Journal.
The company expects to rehire staff once it is allowed by health authorities to reopen entertainment and sports venues.
MGM had previously said it would be furloughing about 63,000 employees. It did not specify how many workers would be affected by the new redundancy notice, but it is believed the layoffs will include venue managers, ushers and hotel entertainment directors. The company previously laid off several senior executives in May.
MGM Resorts International Director of Media Relations Brian Ahern said in a statement: “Given that it is unlikely that concerts and other entertainment events will be returning to Las Vegas in the next month, it has unfortunately impacted the employees who support those shows. We’ve pledged to be as transparent and supportive as possible with employees and are working to reduce the impact and help them moving forward.
“We’re continuing to coordinate with public officials and look forward to the time when we can bring back employees to support our entertainment offerings and relaunch entertainment for our guests.”