MGM Cotai reports construction incident

MGM Cotai reports construction incident

The upcoming Macau casino reported minor damages after a fire that started early morning on Friday.

Macau.- MGM China Holdings Ltd confirmed that a small fire initiated early on Friday at the MGM Cotai casino resort that is currently under construction. Nevertheless, the company told GGRAsia that there was no major damage to the Cotai property.

MGM China confirmed that the fire was contained very quickly and caused minor damage, but it still uncertain if the fire will push back the opening of the Cotai facility. The US$3.3 billion casino is under construction in Macau’s Cotai district and once is open, it will become the second property from the firm in the zone.

Macau’s public broadcaster said that firefighters arrived at the property early at the morning and managed to stop the fire in a storage room on the first floor of the casino. The fire department of the city suspects that the fire was caused by overheated drill chargers that were in the storage room.

Last week, Grant Bowie, chief executive of Macau gaming license holder MGM China Holdings Ltd, revealed that casomp is still expected to meet the fourth quarter deadline for opening, despite the Typhoon Hato that recently hit Macau and provoked several disruptions. The company will focus on maximising the market share and profitability by making sure that they deliver a property that’s interesting and is able to attract more visitors to Macau, “not just from China but from all over Asia and the rest of the world.”

In this article:
Macau mgm cotai