Manila shooter was a problem gambler
According to the Philippine police, the gunman that caused the death of 37 people in Manila last Friday was a local problem gambler, not a terrorist.
Philippines.- The Philippine police released a statement in which it identified the Resorts World Manila casino shooter as Jessie Javier Carlos, a 42-year-old local who had a gambling addiction and have dismissed Islamic State’s claims over Carlos’ attack. The assailant who attempted to rob the venue at gunpoint last Friday and caused the death of 37 people was a former employee of the Department of Finance and was discharged in 2014 for failing to reveal all his assets on mandatory financial disclosure documents.
Police spokesman Oscar Albayalde revealed that Carlos owed US$80 thousand in bank debt in addition to an undisclosed amount to private lenders. He noted that said money was related to him “being hooked on casino gambling” and informed that the authorities found out during interviews with his family that he had been forced to sell his car and a family property to help pay for those debts.
He was also a known high-volume gambler (waging a minimum of US$800) at several casinos but not at Resorts World Manila. However, since April 3, he was banned by the Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corporation (PAGCOR) from entering any casinos in the country after his family members filed a request with the gaming authority.
After the attack, politicians have urged PAGCOR to offer better assistance to problem gamblers and police even suggested it was its ban that triggered Carlos to raid the venue.
PAGCOR issued a statement in response and said that it “strictly implements its Code of Practice for Responsible Gaming” in all the gaming venues it runs and had “tapped the mainstream, internet and social media to reach its target public about the hazards of gambling addiction.”