The casino operator’s US$500 million casino project in central Philippines is set to obtain a license.
Philippines.- The Philippine Amusement and Gaming Corp (Pagcor) said today that Macau casino operator Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd is set to obtain a license for its up to US$500 million-integrated casino-resort project in central Philippines.
Andrea Domingo, chairman of the gaming regulator Pagcor, said at a gaming conference that the casino project in Boracay will still push through even though there was a potential closere of one year of the tourist destination for a clean-up. Pagcor is expected to sign a issue a provisional license for Galaxy and its local partner Leisure and Resorts World Corp on Wednesday, March 21st.
The company had acquired a 23-hectare slot in Boracay for the casino-hotel project. Boracay has welcomed more than two million domestic and international tourists in 2017. Philippines’ tourism, interior and environment ministers last week recommended the shut down of Boracay for a massive clean-up, therefore it is expected that the construction of the resort will take longer than planned.
Domingo said that President Rodrigo Duterte met with Galaxy executives and asked them to protect the environment and shun corruption. “These things, they assured the President, they will guard the environment,” Domingo said.