Macau’s Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau has confirmed that the public consultation on gaming law has been cancelled after two local cases of Covid-19 were detected.
Macau.- A new outbreak of Covid-19 cases has altered plans to hold the first session of a public consultation on gaming laws on September 29. The Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) has confirmed that the first of four public sessions has been cancelled due to two local cases of Covid-19.
It is still unknown when the session will be rescheduled. The DICJ said a new date and time would be communicated in the following days.
Last week Macau’s six casino operators attended a public consultation session and asked for more information on the government’s proposed changes to the current city’s gaming laws.
According to local media reports, SJM Holdings Ltd, Galaxy Entertainment Group Ltd and Wynn Macau Ltd expressed concerns about the idea of raising the minimum share capital required for the gaming companies.
Casino operators also said the government should give more details on the proposal that gaming concessionaires should be part held by a Macau resident.
Several junket operators and trade associations also attended the consultation and asked the authorities to clarify what actions would constitute the crime of illegally accepting funds. The recommended penalty for this type of crime is up to five years in prison or a fine. However, the government representatives did not specifically respond to the junkets’ inquiries.
The consultation will run until October 29, and authorities expect to finish the amendment of the gaming law by the final quarter this year before presenting a draft bill to the Legislative Assembly.
Sands China hotel rooms to be used for Covid-19 quarantine
Authorities have reported that nearly 2,000 hotel rooms at the Londoner Macao complex, operated by Sands China Ltd, have been allocated to use as part of the city’s quarantine programme.
Macau has entered into “immediate pandemic prevention” mode due to two local cases of Covid-19. According to the government, 1,573 people are under medical observation either in hotels used for quarantine or in Health Bureau premises.