Crown Melbourne has ceased operations until August 12 under a 7-day lockdown imposed by the Victorian government.
Australia.- Crown Melbourne has temporarily closed until August 12 due to a new lockdown in the state of Victoria following a rise in Covid-19 cases linked to the delta variant.
The casino operator said gaming activities, food and beverage, retail, banqueting and conference facilities other than for the provision of takeaway and delivery have ceased. Hotel accommodation is still being provided for approved purposes.
The casino operator said it will pay Crown Melbourne employees’ rostered hours and salaries over the period. Crown Melbourne previously saw a snap five-day Covid-19 lockdown in July.
Xavier Walsh steps down as CEO of Crown Melbourne
Crown Resorts has announced that Xavier Walsh will step down as chief executive officer of Crown Melbourne on August 20.
The news comes after Adrian Finanzio, counsel assisting Victoria’s Royal Commission into Crown Resorts, said Walsh was not appropriate to remain connected to the Crown Resorts.
The company said Walsh will remain available to assist the company until his employment at Crown ends on December 9. Crown Resorts said it will announce a replacement following consultation with the Victorian Commission for Gambling and Liquor Regulation.
In July, Walsh admitted Crown Melbourne had underpaid its casino tax for seven years. He said he had learned about the possibility in 2018 but only started investigating when Victoria’s Royal Commission into the casino operator was announced.
Asked by former Federal Court judge Raymond Finkelstein, who’s leading the inquiry, why he did nothing for almost three years, Walsh said he “took comfort” from knowing senior Crown staff were aware of the issue.
Finanzio said: “Walsh partially disclosed the existence of the issues to other directors, downplayed the significance of the issue to Crown’s lawyers, and never followed up the matter in any meaningful way.”
Helen Coonan will also leave the company at the end of August. Michael Borsky, the company’s senior counsel, said Crown has already started to analyse possible replacements for Coonan and expects to appoint a new leader by August 31.
Coonan assumed the role on an interim basis after Ken Barton stepped down following the ILGA’s inquiry into Crown’s fitness to keep its licence for its Crown Sydney property.
Victoria’s Royal Commission into Crown Resorts will continue until October 15 after the government approved judge Raymond Finkelstein’s request for an extension.