The Malaysian casino resort has announced the suspension of its casino due to the new movement control order mandated by the government.
Malaysia.- Authorities in Malaysia have ordered the temporary closure of the Resorts World Genting’s (RWG) casino until further notice as part of Covid-19 countermeasures.
Genting Malaysia had been highly criticised by two opposition politicians, who had questioned why it was allowed to continue operating while the country was seeing a rise in Covid-19 cases.
In the last 24 hours, the Ministry of Health has reported 6,976 new Covid-19 cases.
Genting Malaysia said the resort’s hotels, food and beverage outlets, shopping malls, retail outlets and other facilities will remain open from 8am to 8pm until June 7, 2021.
The company said: “We will continue to fully adhere to the strict standard operating procedures issued by the Government throughout the resort and we seek our guests’ cooperation to do the same.”
Movement Control Order 3.0 announced by the government orders people to work from home and limit the operating hours.
Genting Malaysia previously closed for two weeks in February due to a wave of Covid-19 infections.
In March, analysts predicted Genting Malaysia would see earnings fall by 10 per cent in 2021. They predict the casino operator will make a loss of around MYR184m (US$45m) because of restrictions to contain the Covid-19 pandemic.
According to the analysts, revenue will come in at around MYR6.32bn (US$1.54 bn), down from an earlier estimate of MYR7.05bn (US$1.71bn).
The casino operator has cut salaries to reduce costs as the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic continues.