Macau’s six casino operators will each sponsor one of the races at the 68th Macau Grand Prix, which will take place from November 9 to 21 without international competitors due to Covid-19 restrictions.
Macau.- Macau is ready to welcome back the Macau Grand Prix although the event will be held without international competitors due to the closure of borders amid the Covid-19 pandemic. The competition will be sponsored by all six casino operators: SJM, Sands China, Galaxy Entertainment, Melco, MGM and Wynn.
During a press conference held by the Macau Grand Prix Organising Committee, it was revealed that each casino operator will sponsor one race.
The Macau Grand Prix Organising Committee stated: “The associated positive effects of the Grand Prix serve to promote the development of different industries, and thereby boost the economy. In addition, the annual Grand Prix will be broadcast to countries and regions in the mainland and overseas so as to positively promote the image of Macau.”
Due to the lack of international competitors, the event lacks a title sponsor. According to a press release, the six races will be called: the SJM Formula 4 Macau Grand Prix; the Sands China Macau GT Cup; the Galaxy Entertainment Macau Guia Race; the Melco Macau Touring Car Cup; the MGM Greater Bay Area GT Cup; and the Wynn Porsche Carrera Cup Challenge.
Macau sees rise in visitor numbers after Covid-19 outbreak ends
Authorities in Macau have reported that there were 25,252 visitor arrivals on Friday. The figure was encouraging after only 8,159 people arrived in Macau during October Golden Week, when daily average visits were down 93.7 per cent compared with last year.
The Macao Government Tourism Office (MGTO) said the figure showed “a steady rebound in visitor arrivals, which have been trending upward for four days in a row.” It said that on October 20, more than 20,000 visitors arrived in Macau.