Organisers of the Singapore event still optimistic it will take place despite the Coronavirus outbreak.
Singapore.- Organisers of Gamescom Asia still plan to host the event in October, despite the global Coronavirus pandemic.
The major gaming festival, which is expected to attract tens of thousands of fans, will proceed despite the cancellation of its main event in Germany and expectations that the Covid-19 outbreak will still continue in the latter months of the year.
The organiser, Koelnmesse, said today (April 17) that staging the inaugural Gamescom Asia is still on track.
Koelnmesse Managing Director, Mathias Kuepper, told The Straits Times: “In all aspects, planning for the event is still going ahead but we are assessing the situation in Singapore and the surrounding region very closely.”
“Whether or not we are confident that the global numbers for Covid-19 will tail off by then, we leave that to the projections of the health authorities and will do our part to follow the Singapore Government’s advisories on large-scale events.”
Singapore’s lockdown measures have banned all major gatherings like concerts, theatre productions and festivals in the country. Casinos in the country have also been closed since last week.