The Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) has reported that another scheduled meeting for the public consultation on gaming law amendments has been cancelled due to new Covid-19 cases.
Macau.- With new Covid-19 cases detected in Macau, the Gaming Inspection and Coordination Bureau (DICJ) has cancelled the second scheduled meeting for the public consultation on gaming laws. The meeting was to be held on October 9.
According to a DICJ statement, the cancellation was due to local cases of Covid-19 in the city. The first consultation meeting was also cancelled. Lei Wai Nong, secretary for economy and finance, said then that the schedule for the consultation would continue for the planned 45 days.
After the gaming law revision is finished, there will be 180 days to write the final report, after which a draft will be submitted to the Legislative Assembly for additional conversation.
According to local media reports, authorities in Macau want to end the current sub-concession system that led to the creation of three additional Macau casino licences.
The government also wants to increase the oversight of gaming concessionaires and junket operations, but it will maintain at least six gaming concessions. Representatives from Macau’s casino operators have attended a public consultation session with authorities and asked for more information on the government’s proposed changes.
Macau carries out a new mass testing for Covid-19
Due to new local cases of Covid-19, authorities have launched a new mass testing – the third in recent months. The first, in August, detected no new Covid-19 cases after authorities tested the entire population over three days.
The second was carried out last week after seven local Covid-19 cases were detected previous to the October Golden Week. The third started today after authorities detected a 72nd case of Covid-19.
Authorities in the city of Zhuhai have announced that the mandatory 14-day quarantine for visitors from Macau will be kept in place. The government has also imposed new restrictions and countermeasures.
Analysts at Bernstein Research said: “Golden Week is likely to be completely derailed (with already very low expectations) after Zhuhai, Guangdong announced last night that travellers coming in will continue to be subjected to 14 days quarantine from Oct 1.”