Authorities have reported ten new Covid-19 cases as October’s Golden Week begins.
Macau.- Authorities have revealed that only 3,122 visitors arrived in Macau during the first two days of the national Golden Week holiday – down 92 per cent compared with last year.
The figure comes as the government analyses whether to implement new Covid-19 countermeasures, following the appearance of new local cases of Covid-19 since September 25.
The local outbreak looks set to have a deep impact on the highly anticipated holiday period, with GGRAsia reporting that as of Thursday just five out of 25 resorts in Macau had sold out for around four evenings. Previous to the new outbreak of Covid-19 cases, Macau authorities were expecting to welcome 40.000 daily visitors.
Analysts at JP Morgan Securities said: “We think it’s a foregone conclusion that it will be an ungolden holiday as many players are likely to cancel the trips to avoid risks of being quarantined upon their return to the mainland.”
Zhuhai keeps 14-day quarantine for inbound travellers from Macau
Authorities in the city of Zhuhai have announced that the mandatory 14-day quarantine for visitors from Macau will be kept in place due to new Covid-19 cases in Macau in the past week.
Although Zhuhai is one of the main gateways to Macau for mainland China visitors, Ho Iat Seng, Macau’s Chief Executive has said that an end to the inbound quarantine in Zhuhai would not be a “major assistance” for Macau’s tourism sector.