According to the Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO), the Macao Week roadshow was attended by 1.9 million visitors and engaged 550 million viewers online.
Macau.- A series of roadshows held by the Macau Government Tourism Office (MGTO) in mainland China throughout 2021 attracted 1.9 million visitors and 550 million online viewers. Macao Week was held in Hangzhou, Nanjing, Jiangsu, Shanghai, Chengdu, Sichuan and Chongqing with the aim of promoting Macau’s gaming and tourist industries after the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The last roadshow was held in Chongqing and attracted 700,000 visitors and approximately 70 million live viewers. The initiative offers gifts to encourage mainland Chinese to travel, including discounts worth RMB100m. MGTO has said the initiative will be held again next year. All six casino operators in Macau attended the event to showcase their non-gaming products.
Macau expects up to 10 million visitors in 2022
According to the MGTO, the city could receive up to 10 million visitors in 2022 if Macau finally resumes the e-visa programme with China and reopens borders with Hong Kong.
Between January to October, the city received 6.08 million tourists, up 32.2 per cent year-on-year. It saw a daily average of 26,655 visitors between November 12 to November 18, while November 19 saw the highest number of arrivals since the beginning of the month with 35,525 visitors for the finale of the 68th Macau Grand Prix. The MGTO has reported that the number of arrivals has continued to increase over the last week.
Macao Government Tourism Office director Maria Helena de Senna Fernandes said: “We really hope that by the end of this year, the city will have had over 7 million visits during 2021.”