Two people have so far been diagnosed with the virus in Macau.
Macau.- Macau’s new Chief Executive, Ho Iat Seng, has said there is a growing possibility that some of the SAR’s casinos will close temporarily because of the ongoing outbreak of Coronavirus.
“Honestly, from the experience of SARS, if the situation is so serious, no-one will go to a casino”, he said in a press conference on Thursday.
In recent days, authorities have taken additional measures to prevent the virus spreading further, such as ordering all casino workers to wear respiratory face masks.
The decision has also been taken to cancel the Chinese New Year parade to “reduce the risk of propagation” of the disease. The government has even recommended that local companies and associations cancel any upcoming private functions.
Two persons have now been diagnosed with the virus in Macau. A 66-year-old from Wuhan in China’s Hubei province that entered city on Wednesday afternoon and a 52-year-old businesswoman from Wuhan who spent two days at the New Orient Landmark casino hotel both displayed symptoms of the virus and were immediately hospitalised.
Yesterday, it was reported that 26 people have so far died and more than 830 diagnosed with the Wuhan virus.