Authorities in the Cambodian capital Phnom Penh reportedly arrested another 140 NagaWorld employees who were striking.
Cambodia.- As the strikes against NagaCorp continue, another 140 people were arrested for breaching Covid-19 health protocols. They were reportedly taken to an isolation centre on the outskirts of Phnom Penh for quarantine before being released a few hours later.
An SreyPe, who was present at the strikes, told RFA’s Khmer Service: “The authorities rushed in with anger. They assaulted and cursed the women among us, but our demands continue to be the same. We will protest until we have a solution.”
Last week, authorities released eight union leaders who were arrested in December for organising the NagaWorld strike.
Ry Sovandy, one of those arrested, said: “Our stance is that the union has to be reinstated and the workers who want to work should be allowed to return.
“Our position is purely based on the willingness of the workers. We will not accept any condition that leads to a dissolution of the union or only allows one party, the NagaWorld company, to win in this dispute.”
NagaWorld employees went on strike on December 18 2021 in protest against NagaCorp’s layoffs and pay cuts, which the country said were necessary to improve cost efficiency due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic.
The union and the casino operator will hold talks today. The Department of Labour will require a lawsuit be filed in court if the dispute cannot be resolved.