PAGCOR’s new Opol casino shuts its doors until January 31

The casino has closed its doors under the Philippines' Level 3 Covid-19 restrictions.
The casino has closed its doors under the Philippines' Level 3 Covid-19 restrictions.

The Grand Imperial Casino has closed due to Covid-19 countermeasures, but opponents of the venue are calling on authorities not to allow it to reopen unless certain requirements are met.

The Philippines.- The Grand Imperial Casino has closed its doors but not for the reasons put forward by opponents of the new venue. The PAGCOR casino, which opened in Barangay Taboc in December has temporarily closed due to Covid-19 countermeasures. It expects to resume operations next month despite opposition.

Earlier this month, the Archdiocese of Cagayan de Oro published an open letter against the casino venue, while members of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente (IFI) also expressed their opposition against the casino complex. The leaders of the two religious groups said they would start a signature campaign against the casino.

A Catholic layman told Rappler that despite the temporary shut down, opponents will continue their efforts “so that the casino will not operate ever.”

During an inquiry last week, the Misamis Oriental provincial board revealed the casino had been operating without a business permit.

In this article:
Grand Imperial Casino land-based casino