Focus YouTube

New casino limits in Sydney due to Covid-19

There was a 5-day lockdown in the northern beaches area of the state.
There was a 5-day lockdown in the northern beaches area of the state.

The authorities in New South Wales have tightened measures again after cases of a new stain of Covid-19 were detected.

Australia.- Casinos in Sydney have been forced to close again due to cases of a new strain of Covid-19 in the city.

The move comes despite an overall reduction in the number of Covid-19 cases reported in the city.

Only 23 new cases were reported on Monday. Of those, 15 were identified as what has been dubbed “the northern beaches outbreak,” which has accounted for 83 cases so far.

On Friday the government imposed a five-day lockdown in Sydney’s northern beaches area, centred on two dining and entertainment venues in the seaside suburb of Avalon.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that 100 locations were since then identified as having been visited by people with confirmed cases of Covid-19, including cafes, gyms, casinos and supermarkets.

NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian said it was too early to say whether a larger outbreak had been averted. She said the government would provide an update by Wednesday on “what Christmas and the next few days look like” for the area.

Other states have closed borders to Sydney’s 5 million residents.

In line with the restrictions in place, The Star Sydney announced that capacity will be limited to 300 to respect the rule of one person for every 4 square meters. As of December 7, The Star has been allowed to receive up to 10,000 customers.

The casino closed for a brief period of time on Monday “to implement further Covid-19 safe measures.”

No Premier League matches will be shown in the venue’s 24/7 Sports Bar and entry will be at the discretion of management based on capacity, the casino informed.

Shows at The Star Sydney, Pippin and the Sydney Lyric Theatre have been cancelled for December 22 and 23.

In this article:
australia sydney The Star