Macau officials “cautious” about reopening casinos

15-day casino closure could be extending if Coronavirus outbreak is not contained.

Macau.- The Macau SAR Government is evaluating day by day whether to re-open all 41 of its casinos that are currently on a 15-day shutdown as part of efforts to contain the deadly Coronavirus.

The Secretary for Economy and Finance, Lei Wai Nong, said that the government is watching the development of the Coronavirus and having regular contact with the Health Bureau and Macau’s six gaming concessionaires to discuss when they can return to the normal activities.

“We have to evaluate the overall situation cautiously and arrange relevant work in considering the re-opening of casinos,” Lei said at a press conference on Thursday.

Last week, Macau Chief Executive, Ho Iat Seng, ordered the closure of all of Macau’s casinos, slot machine parlours, VIP clubs and horse and sports betting venues until February 20.

Other measures have been taken to halt the deadly virus including Macau’s 23 hotels also closing their doors.

The government has urged residents to stay home with many local shops and businesses closing their doors in compliance with the government’s request.

In this article:
casino coronavirus macau

Most Read Articles