The casino operator will not reopen The House of Dancing Water in January as expected.
Macau.- Casino operator Melco Resorts and Entertainment Ltd has announced it will extend the closure of its The House of Dancing Water show at City of Dreams for “several months” into 2021, with jobs to be lost as a result.
The company suspended all activities on June 18, initially expecting to reopen in January 2021.
Melco Resorts said that due to travel restrictions, the show had been unable to come to Macau and will remain closed for several months.
The company said: “Under these circumstances, colleagues whose work permits are expiring during the show hiatus will be departing.”
David Sisk, Melco Resorts’ chief operating officer, said in a statement: “It is with a very heavy heart that we see amazing talent leave. We are very grateful for our colleagues continued efforts and for having been willing to stay with the show during these difficult times.”
The company’s statement also quoted Mr Dragone the director of the show which has been in Macau since 2010, as saying that his team had been “working on reimagining the show.”
He added: “Unfortunately, I cannot come to Macau nor can any of my team. The global pandemic has created a situation that is very difficult for all of us, seeing talent leave greatly saddens me… I am very hopeful that we can come to Macau to bring back a reimagined House of Dancing Water.”